At ScottsMiracle-Gro, we are focused on our purpose, to GroMoreGood, for every person and every patch of the Earth. We think that’s what sustainability is all about, and that’s what our company has always been about.
Today, we are excited to announce the launch of our 2021 Corporate Responsibility Report, which includes our environmental, social and governance (ESG)-driven business goals that will guide our sustainability strategy over the next four years. These goals outline how we will deliver on our GroMoreGood commitment for our associates, communities, consumers and the environment throughout 2021 and beyond.
Here are some highlights from our 2021–2025 ESG goals:
- Connecting 10 million children to the benefits of gardens and greenspaces
- Reaching 145 million Americans through environmental partnerships
- Investing $2.5 million in criminal justice reform and economic inclusion initiatives within the cannabis space
Product stewardship and safety
- Tripling the amount of recycled content in plastic packaging
- Increasing consumer brand packaging that can be recycled or reused by 50%
Operations and supply chain
- Utilizing established data collection process for emissions and waste in 100% of locations to establish baseline metrics and future improvement goals
- Demonstrating improvement on identified “GroMoreGood” Goals among 75% of suppliers
Associate engagement and wellness
- Applying diagnostic data to identify strengths and areas of opportunity in the company’s mission to ensure all associates are treated in a fair and equitable manner
- Continuing to provide holistic health and wellness programs to help people through their best and most challenging times, with the goal of enhancing their health, happiness and longevity
Over the past decade, we’ve intensified our actions to align our business practices in ways that are good for the planet, people and communities. During 2019–2020, we underwent a formal materiality assessment, following the guidelines of the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), to prioritize our most important ESG opportunities and risks and to further align our sustainability goals and commitments with stakeholder priorities. Based on that assessment, these five key areas of focus were identified to drive our sustainability strategy: Product Stewardship and Safety, Operations and Supply Chain, Associate Engagement and Wellness, Community Engagement, and Governance and Transparency.
In 2020, we focused heavily on establishing sustainability benchmarks, creating implementation and monitoring plans, and continuous improvement around these five focus areas, which resulted in the emergence of our new ESG targeted goals. In the coming years, we will continue reporting on our progress and improvement related to our ESG priority areas of focus and corresponding goals.