As we continue to share the details in our 2022 Corporate Responsibility report, our associates play a prominent role in our story. One of the highlights was that ScottsMiracle-Gro received a 100 out of 100 on the Human Rights Campaign Corporate Equality Index, naming us a Top Place to Work for LGBTQ+ Equality.
Now, a score is a score, right? It’s good on paper, but what matters more is what it represents in real life at the company.
For our GroPride Employee Resource Group (ERG), it shows our progress as a company and continued efforts to cater to our associates.
“For me, that 100 score shows the continued momentum that started with the development of our GroPride ERG,” said Grant, president of GroPride. “Right away, there was a ton of enthusiasm and participation in GroPride. Since then, we’ve been exploring ways we can make real impact for LGBTQ+ associates.”
What is the HRC CEI?
You may be wondering what is this index and why is it important? Based on a recommendation and support from GroPride, ScottsMiracle-Gro participated in the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Corporate Equality Index (HRC CEI) for the first time in 2021. The HRC CEI is the national benchmarking tool on corporate policies, practices and benefits pertinent to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) employees. Data from the CEI tells the story in the adoption of these critical policies and practices indicative of employers’ commitment to equality.
The CEI rates companies on detailed criteria falling under four central pillars:
- Non-discrimination policies across business entities
- Equitable benefits for LGBTQ workers and their families
- Supporting an inclusive culture
- Corporate social responsibility
How it started
In 2021, our first year of participation, we received an 80 out of a 100. This initial score was based on our updated policies, transgender benefits, and involvement in the community. While we were proud of the initial 80 we received the first year, this also pointed out our areas of opportunity and gave us guidance on how to provide the best environment and workplace for all of our associates.
How it’s going
The following are several programs and initiatives that support our associates:
- Expanded our benefits coverage to include domestic partner coverage
- Added Maven to our benefits offering to support our associates in family planning
- Hosted Real Talk Series to create awareness and promote authentic dialogue related to our commitment to strengthening our diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) efforts
- Expanded our selection of personal information fields in Workday, allowing our US associates to disclose their sexual orientation, gender identity and preferred gender pronouns.
- Engaged in marketing and advertising to the LGBTQ+ community: How I Gro Campaign, GroPride video launched at Stonewall and NBC4, social ads and a series of Instagram post of influencers such as: Alvin Wayne, The Plant Gays (David and Aidan), Will Taylor, Shavonda Gardner, PJ and Thomas McKay
- Provided philanthropic support to LGBTQ+ organizations
- Partnered with KidsGardening to design a program that helps connect more LGBTQ+ youth and allies to the empowering opportunities provided by hands-on garden programming. Our GroPride Garden Grants help provide monetary funding and peer learning opportunities to support the development of new gardens and the expansion of existing gardens that engage LGBTQ+ youth and allies.
- GroPride hosted a Tupperware fundraising party to support the work of Kaleidoscope Youth Center, a youth drop-in and support services organization serving the LGBTQIA+ youth of Central Ohio. GroPride ERG also continues providing volunteer support to KYC on an ongoing basis.
- Publicly supported LGBTQ equality under the law by participating in Ohio Business Competes
Our HRC score and these initiatives help to demonstrate why Scotts and Hawthorne are a great place to work for all associates. As such, we will continue to listen, understand what is most important to our associates and develop ways we can best support them.
If you are interested in learning more about the HRC CEI, check out the 2022 report.